Saturday, January 26, 2013

Week 3 of ILE

I am a bit behind on my weekly update due to the reading workload this week. I will begin this post where I left off from the last one.

On 17 Jan (Thu), I received my critique from the diagnostic writing assignment. The comments were helpful but I would recommend that the diagnostic writing assignment be on an argumentative essay written prior to the course so that the instructors can have better feedback on our writing. If there are students who are having trouble with it, then they can be identified early. Early reading on argumentative essay format should also be provided.

In the evening of the 17th, I saw the movie Lincoln. I enjoyed it especially seeing it in Virginia where some of the actual locations occurred in this area. Lincoln has been a favorite past president of mine. In fact, I recall buying his biography during a book sale when I was in junior high... such a nerd even back then. 

On 18 Jan (Fri), we had a guest speaker Dr. Douglas Macgregor (he owns this link so it may be biased; for additional information on him, here is another link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Macgregor). The topic he discussed was "Army Planning and the Pivot to the Western Pacific: The Tyranny of Distance."

I drove home that afternoon and spent the weekend with my family. The 19th of January was my birthday and my husband took me to a show by the Shey Yun Performing Arts and we had sushi afterwards.

Front row seats at the Shey Yun Perfoming Arts show in Raleigh, NC

  Sunday and Monday were low key days just hanging out with the kids. I went back to Fort Lee refreshed and ready for another week.


Sofia with her art work at the Fuquay Varina Junior Women's Club Art Festival
Antonio and I (with "Blizzard," his penguin) at Anna's Pizza in Fuquay Varina, NC

On  22 Jan (Tue), We covered International Security Environment. I completed my media interview in front of the class. I did my media interview plan on access to care for the Department of the Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at WAMC. I am so glad they allowed us to pick our own topic.

On 23 Jan (Wed), I attended a Writing Improvement Program (WIP) course. I was able to get some more guidance on our first argument paper. That day, we also finished up our critical thinking module and covered reading on culture. In the afternoon, I stopped by the Cardinal Golf Course in Fort Lee, VA. Once the weather improves, I plan on going back to play and may take some lessons. That evening, half of my classmates and I went to the Croaker's Spot Restaurant. I chose the restaurant based on rave reviews on Yelp. Then we headed to the Veteran's Administration Hospital where we spent time with the inpatients. They played bingo and we assisted the staff in feeding the patients and cleaning up thereafter. The visit is a requirement for community service during our course.

Motley Crue of Group D Class 13-001 at Croakers, Richmond, VA

On 24 Jan (Thu), we covered 17th Century Early Revolution history and leadership management. In the afternoon, some of us went to see Zero Dark Thirty. I thought of it as a social officer professional development. I also enjoyed this movie. It kept me awake the whole time and I was elated to learn that the catalyst for the mission was by a female CIA agent. I'm starting to reflect on myself and discovering that I may be a feminist, but I will have to read more about feminism to say for sure. That evening, I had to read several articles to prepare for the following day.

On 25 Jan (Fri), we had discussions on joint operations, we learned about soft and hard power, strategy, international relations. I learned about realism, liberalism and constructivism. The instructors also announced that due to the budget cuts, many of our off site visits such as to Norfolk, Langley, and DC are going to be cancelled. I also learned from another group that the Reading Improvement Program (RIP) course has been cancelled. It is highly disappointing since these are part of the curriculum that I was very much looking forward to experiencing.

In the evening, my Filipina friends and I went to a Korean restaurant in Colonial Heights, VA. We had heavy snow but glad we were able to make it to the restaurant. It was nice to get away from the hotel and spend time with new friends. One commented that we need to keep doing it as "Filipina Fridays".... great idea! I then spent a couple of hours with my classmates who were playing poker. I'm sure they will keep playing and maybe I will learn as well.

So, I am all caught up now since today is 26 Jan (Sat). I was watching the movie Fiesta from 1947 with Ricardo Montalban and Esther Williams. They played twins in the movie (Mario and Maria). Mario is a bullfighter who wants to be a composer and Maria wants to be a bullfighter and became one to replace Mario. Pretty awesome.... again, with the feminist comment, I am really drawn to stories of women who take traditional professions that are supposed to be for men. I also learned about Conchita Cintron, a famous woman bullfighter. I still think it is a machismo world and I like reading about the women who defy such a world.

It is timely to also mention that the Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced opening up combat positions to women this week.

A few news worthy links on the topic:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/24/women-in-combat-briefing/1861887/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_military

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-cycle/50578082/#50578082

I will end this update with that. A few classmates and I are cooking this afternoon/evening, I will start with that for the next posting. I was able to post some pictures on this post. Have a great weekend.



No comments: