Thursday, January 10, 2013

First Week of ILE

I am now here at ILE (Intermediate Level Education) course in Fort Lee, Virginia. We are in our first week of a 3-month course. I have several plans in the upcoming months in order to maximize my time in learning more on how I can become a better leader, network with fellow officers, enjoy activities near Fort Lee. Although this blog entry is part of an actual requirement for the course, my goal is to chronicle my experiences while I am here.

Worth mentioning is that I was able to visit the U.S. Army Women's Museum yesterday where I was able to learn several historical events that happened in the U.S. Army in terms of specific dates and places on how women's service was established. I was also finally able to see the painting of LTC Sherry Lynn Womack (previously a CPT on the painting), a senior PA leader. I plan on going back because I have a couple of research projects I want to get started.

Today we took our APFT and since physical fitness is part of becoming a better leader, I also plan on improving my performance not only for the APFT but for my overall goal of improving myself why I am here.

We just completed our first block on "Civil Military Relations: Theory and History" where we discussed theories in Military Professionalism and Civil Military Relations. We also completed the Nelson-Denny Test which assesses our vocabulary, reading rate and comprehension. I have never heard of this particular test and I am interested in learning more about its validity and reliability. Additionally, on what cohort of individuals it will be beneficial for.

Our first written assignment is due on Monday and I already have some idea on what I want to write about and may eventually publish. Right now we are getting read-aheads on upcoming due outs.

Overall, I'm very much looking forward to finishing this course and accomplishing several professional and personal goals along the way. This blog will be helpful in documenting my thoughts during this time period of my life.

No comments: