Thursday, January 17, 2013

Second Week of ILE

I've decided to make this blog a dynamic one that will be useful for future Fort Lee attendees based on my full experiences while I am here. I will be documenting significant events and ideas that I am going through as it happens. I've included links for easy access to certain topics.

Overall keys to success that I've learned so far:
1. Read the assignments, you cannot contribute to the discussions if you do not know the topic(s)
2. Make time to exercise (I've been doing the Insanity Workout and will continue to do it for the duration of this course)
3. Do not be a hotel rat, visit local historic sites
4. Network with the staff and students
5. Stay on top of written assignments

08 JAN, Tue - report date and we received our rooms at Stay Over, Hopewell, VA

09 JAN, Wed-Inprocessing and welcome briefs; I visited the U.S. Army Women's Museum; I visited the Colonial Heights Mall and saw Les Miserables

10 JAN, Thu- We took our APFT; we had our first block on History; I visited the Quartermaster Museum on post

A fellow classmate and I visited Petersburg for a recon, they have free military entrance to three museums that I plan on going back to. We also went to Richmond, VA where we had Vietnamese Food

11 JAN, Fri - We learned more about leadership and resiliency tools

I drove to Virginia Beach, VA and stayed at the Navy Lodge on Dam Neck. I was able to go to a Filipino restaurant (Susan's Kitchenette).

I contacted a friend I've known since junior high whom I haven't seen for 20 years. She is in the Navy and we are able to catch up.

12 JAN, Sat- My friend and her boyfriend gave me a tour of the USS Iwo Jima in Norfolk, VA. I learned a lot about the Navy and their way of life. We also visited the Navy Exchange. For course work, I completed the Myer Briggs and the Kold Learning Style Inventory.

13 JAN, Sun - I drove to Fort Eustis, VA and visited the Transportation Museum. They have an excellent exhibit so much that the section on Iraq made me feel like I was there. I then drove to Williamsburg where I hungout downtown and went to the outlet mall.

14 JAN, Mon - Back to class. We discussed our Korb LSI and Myer Briggs results (online version of the Myer Briggs). I'm still an ISTJ. We talked about the Individual Development Plan. There are several tools that we can use to assess ourselves to improve our self-awareness.

I submitted my poster abstract to AAPA  for the May conference.

15 JAN, Tue - Media day. We were able to listen to three journalists regarding their perspective regarding Military-Media Relationship.

16 JAN, Wed- We discussed Critical Thinking Articles.

17 JAN, Thu- We had several reading assignments for History that we talked about today. It pays to read them prior to the discussions.  I am supposed to have my first counseling today as well.

So, that is the second week. I will be going home this weekend. Saturday is my birthday and want to spend time with my family.

A few items I want to mention as far as short term goals:
Brainstorm articles to be published (topics: women's history)
Learn how to play golf (just do it)
Learn more Spanish (I was told to read Spanish newspapers and books, I've been watching Telenovelas for fun in the evenings)
Networking (continue to meet other ILE students)
Traveling (visit Pentagon, visit DC, go back to Petersburg, go back to Virginia Beach).

No comments: