Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Another 4th of July Spent Deployed


It's yet another 4th of July, Independence Day, that I'm spending while in another country. I've spent the same holiday three years ago in Baghdad, Iraq. What are my thoughts and feelings about this holiday that is usually celebrated by many Americans with a 4-day weekend, barbeque and fireworks? Well, where I am at, it's just like any other day. I'm the only female "imbedded" with a company of infantry soldiers as their current medical provider. For them, it's mission as usual. No fireworks will be heard unless you count controlled detonations and mortars firing overhead. (If you count those, then everyday is Independence Day). In fact, this holiday is one of the most dangerous for them because the enemy knows our holidays and they specifically attack during American holidays. It's a quiet atmosphere in the aid station where I am at right now but when we do get casualties, they're pretty serious so I just hope that today will not be one of those days.

During this Independence Day, I want to take the time to recognize the sacrifice these outstanding young men are doing, who go out there to "greet" the enemy day in and day out, and on this celebrated day are not in their backyards listening to music, eating a hotdog, sipping on a cold soda while they play with their children. They are out here forging a war on terrorism unbeknownst to those who are celebrating this day with their family and friends.

On a less serious note, we had two soldiers who went to Bagram to get their citizenships. Every year on this day, there is a mass participation of "alien" soldiers who finally become citizens of a country of which they are sacrificing their lives for. It's a proud day for them because they can now say that they are Americans. I, too, earned my citizenship during my military service. I can remember it very well. It was actually in Puerto Rico, at my first duty station. There was a lot of paperwork and criterias that had to be met. I also had to study for a test then show up while somebody asked me questions (When I asked my "American" friends, most of them didn't even know the answers). So, I can just imagine what these soldiers must be feeling now as they achieve this important milestone.

It's a proud day for me to be wearing my uniform. People may agree or disagree about us being here, but we are here and many of us are your brothers, sisters, cousins, mothers, fathers, etc., and we thank you for your support.

Happy Independence Day!

Pinay Army PA
FOB in the Middle of Nowhere, Afghanistan
July 4, 2006

No comments: