Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Kite Runner

I'm still in Afghanistan and just finished reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I'm down south on a mission and I found this book in the room I'm staying in that another provider left behind for others to enjoy. I don't know if it's because I'm in this country and the book is about two boys who grow up in this country, but I could not put it down.

I finished reading it in one day. I started reading it early in the morning and couldn't sleep because I wanted to know what happened. I took two breaks, one to the latrine and the other to call my husband to let him know what a great book this is. OK, three. The third is to order it online as a gift to my husband's brother who I think will enjoy reading it as well since I was ordering gifts for his family anyway. Many of the passages reminded me of my experiences when I was younger. I highly recommend this book.

It's a coming of age book with the Afghan revolution as a background. You will not be disappointed. This is now one of my favorite novels.

No comments: